Monday, March 7, 2011

Hurricane's Eye

I smell the sweet scent of a time going by
while bitterness rises from air to my tongue.
I've burned down old bridges and broken down walls
but still an old air fills my lungs.

I've devalued fortunes and dug into holes
where steel shells land with their brimstone and doom,
and I've seen the heartbreak of a fatherless home
when a widow mourns softly in gloom.

Kiss the wind and spread your wings wide
and stare down a storm cloud in a hurricane's eye.
Not demons nor angels can break your free will;
we've got more left to do than to die.

The ice of no glacier can cool our blood's heat
and our freedom reigns on the plains of dry air.
No valley of sorrow nor sea of regret
will convince me that we're wrong to dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment